Wednesday 24 October 2012

The time-in-between

You know what I think, like seriously, a new course should be introduced to our higher institutions of learning, it should be mandatory for all students, it should be taught for four years and should be taught by those qualified with a lot of years of experience. The name of this course if ‘LIFE 110’. And I’m actually serious. And the course should not be waived; you just have to pass it, if you want to graduate when you’re supposed to.
It actually dawned on me that there are a lot of things that you’d have to figure out on your own in life. Of course, there’s the invaluable advice of parents and well meaning friends and all that, but the fact is that eventually, the decision and choices boils down to you and you alone. You decide if you want to go God’s way or not, it’s actually your choice. This post is actually inspired by a certain funny dilemma I’m in. itz actually funny I tell you.

 I asked myself this question? What do you do in the ‘time-in-between’. Lemme explain the time-in-between concept better. There’s always that time in between, two events when we’re totally at loss for what to do to pass the time. The time-between is always too short to do something tangible and to long not to do anything at all and during that period, you usually don’t have as much cash at your disposal as you would love to have. For instance, when you’re between jobs, like you quit your old job and you have to resume a new one in a month’s time, you just need that time to rest and recuperate from stress and all but then, you don’t want to spend one month just lazing about right? And you don’t wanna do anything too stressful or demanding because you don’t want to resume a new job stressed out.
Another scenario is that of a typical Nigerian student that would have to go for youth service upon completion of a degree program (eg I and a couple of my just graduated friends). Of course we can’t spend about three to five months just goofing around and having fun, but there’s this need to at least take a break from the stress and all. 

Of course, there are a lot of things that can be done, but it has to be temporary cos there’s youth service in a short while. So the question ‘what do I do?’ pops up. I’ve been thinking about this for a while and many things came to mind, I could start a professional course but then, I don’t have a transcript to present yet, getting a temporary job or starting up a business would be a good idea, but is that the best option at this time 't'? for some people, it would be perfect cos at least you’ll make some cash for yourself but for me, it’s not. I could work, do a business and all, but there’s something important I think everybody should do during the ‘time-in-between’.

That’s what brought about the comment about including LIFE 110 in our higher institutions.
Yesterday, a story came to mind…a story about a man that had the time-in-between. In his case, it was just three days. Jesus had to spend three days in the grave, of course we know he resurrected after then. And I asked myself, what did he do in the time he had? He didn’t have to ‘work’ for the three days he spent in the grave, after which a different kind of ‘work’ awaited him. And I got the answer…Jesus did underground work for three days, scripture explains that. He had finished his work on earth but there was still underground work to be done and that had to be cleared up before he could move on to the next level. And he used the time-in-between to clear that up.
So here’s what I’m trying to say, whenever we find ourselves at that time-in-between stage, it’s time to do that underground work that needs to be cleared up. For example, I had a very busy schedule in school, a very, very, busy one. I didn’t really have time for myself if you get what I mean and very soon, I’ll be neck-deep in projects, work and other responsibilities. So here I am presented with a break from what seems like an endless cycle of responsibilities and I’m still expected to take on some kinda work or the other? No sire, I won’t. It doesn’t mean I won’t be engaged in some productive activity or the other but I’ve decided to make time out for myself and just clear up pending issues.
I really can’t say what pending issues people might have, but I do know I need to sort out some areas of my life that I seem to have neglected for a while now. Like I really need to pay attention to my appearance, *it might seem vain to some people, but hey, it’s my blog :)* and my finances need urgent attention if I plan to be financially independent in the time frame I set for myself. Also, I need to really draw up a clear and structured career path for myself, I know where I want to be career-wise quite alright, but I need a map on how to get there, which I haven’t drawn up yet. Another important issue is that of my social circle, I’ve come to understand that the people you roll with in life, determines to a large extent, how far you’ll go in life, and from my last post, you can infer that I really need to take some people out of that circle and bring in new people. Then, I have to get clear instructions on exactly what God wants me to do in his kingdom…as per purpose, so I don’t get carried away with my personal goals and ambitions and ignore what I was created for, which to me is far more important than whatever goals I set for myself. Lastly, of course I would settle down someday….so I need to start paying attention to stuffs that revolve around the subject matter as I’m not getting any younger :). So I have lots of stuffs to clear up before I move on to that next level, so I can start off as a well-balanced individual. And believe me, to do all this; I need to do some deep thinking. I might not get all the answers I seek for, but at least, I’ll have a sense of purpose and direction.

Everybody’s so busy nowadays that often times a lot of important issues are being swept under the carpet, but like it or not, we’d have to face them one way or the other. So, when you have that time-in-between, don’t be in such a haste to fill it up with activities, take out time to do some deep thinking and evaluate your journey so far, what needs to be cleared up, to make you travel lighter and faster? It’s important to ask this question once in a while, and not stop asking till we get answers.


Till next time,

Ms. Tique says…
Keep Rolling!

No comments: