Thursday 2 January 2014

The one who was, who is and who is to come



How can you not believe? How can you look at the grey sky splattered with a million stars at night and not understand?
The more I study, the more I realize that Jesus could have been just another nice guy with good intentions, The more I observe the patterns of this world, the more I understand you and your views about the non-existence of God. I understand you Thomas I really do.
Thomas, I look at the sky when the sun sets and I see the birds fly back home, a dozen or more of them fly back home in a perfect triangle formation. I wonder about the choreographer that gave them that perfect formation. Have you ever
wondered about that?
Yes Thomas, I study the gospels and the more I do that the more I know that this could just be a remarkable historical event that was recorded and people just made much ado about nothing over time. What makes the bible different from other history books anyway? Who knows, the big bang theory can be proven to be indeed true.
The truth Thomas is that I do not have a single reason to believe that God exists except this; the inner witness I have. No, Thomas, it’s not just me speaking to myself, it’s His voice that speaks peace amidst the chaos, it’s the voice that tells me not to fear even when I face the terrifying giants, it’s the voice that tells me where to go when I miss my way. The voice that tells me that I can do anything and achieve feats greater than anything I can ever dream of or imagine. Once again, the voice isn’t me speaking to myself, for I am the perfect phlegmatic, fearful and timid, but that voice in my head makes me stronger than any choleric and sanguine put together!
For this singular reason Thomas, I believe in God and I believe that the God I serve is the one true God.

John 14:16-17

I will talk to the Father, and he'll provide you another Friend so that you will always have someone with you. 17 This Friend is the Spirit of Truth. The godless world can't take him in because it doesn't have eyes to see him, doesn't know what to look for. But you know him already because he has been staying with you, and will even be in you!

(from THE MESSAGE: The Bible in Contemporary Language © 2002 by Eugene H. Peterson. All rights reserved.)

No comments: