Tuesday 14 August 2012

The Call...2

This is the second story in The Call series, you can read the previous one here
 
Like seriously? This ‘thing’ wasn’t supposed to grow on me. If someone had told me a year ago, that I would travel down this path, I never would have believed it. I never would have. But the funny thing is that, I have no regrets, for this path I have taken is the best thing that could have ever happened to me, ever.
I picked up my head set and grabbed my back pack as I left my room, unknown to me, that this day, would mark beginning of a new era in my life. I’m your basic next-door-neighbour kind of guy, just that I have the rare privilege of staring down at people often times anyway…of course, it’s the six-foot syndrome we all happily suffer from.


I did the mule walk as I walked down the corridor, I always felt I could have had a lucrative career in dancing, but then again, who doesn’t dream of being rich and famous, with a limo filled with the most expensive wines and exquisite chics…okay, okay..hold that thought there, young man, I had to scold myself and of course I had suspended the mule walk, people were staring already and it’s not like I actually care, but at that point, it was imperative for me to remind myself of who I was and who I was not.
As I walked down to my faculty, that morning, a light drizzle started, which was quite unusual, considering… I had to take off my head set, and that gave me time to do some real, deep thinking. Things hadn’t been easy for me, this past month. Forget the calm exterior, that phrase; ‘a guy’s gotta do what a guy’s gotta do’, is the reason for this exterior, beneath it, it’s all chaos, I know it…I smile to myself as I remember the only sane thing that happened to me recently...
You know, stuff’s been kinda crazy..my parents got a divorce and my mum moved to the states with my younger sister..a guy’s gotta do what a guy’s gotta do right? That statement should be banned or dumped somewhere in the middle of the Atlantic. But amidst the storm, the uncertainties and confusion, I became a Christian. Plain and simple. But in reality, it hasn’t been plain and simple, I’ve had to struggle with a lot of things, majorly, with friends. I mean, these dudes wouldn’t let me be. Give me a break, I never, ever would have envisaged myself as a Christian because I was the kind of guy that did things that made ‘bad’ look ‘prim and proper’. I’m sorry, I can’t go into details of my past..at least that’s why it’s called a past.
The truth is, when you hit rock-bottom in your life, you’ll realize that swag, 6-packs, reputation, money, heck, even your hommies cannot come through for you, only Jesus can and I don’t mean to go all preachy on you, but that’s the fact.
I was already close to the notice board in my faculty when I remembered that the different destinations for the field trip would be pasted today, it was kinda crowded around there so I stepped back till the crowd subsided and I remembered something funny that had happened recently. I was advised as a young Christian, to study the gospels first and the epistles afterwards to grow, but just last week I knew the Holy Spirit wanted me to study something else. Funny, I could say this with all confidence, I mean I was still new to the whole ‘Christianity’ thing..
But something within me, just urged me to study a book from the Old Testament. It was a book that people hardly read, and it was kinda confusing but I just knew I ought to study that book, I knew it just like I knew my name was Philip. I had started studying it, so far so good, it was really cool, I was learning stuff, but I still hadn’t seen the point, I mean how would it affect me and help me out? Oh well, it’s all good you know, that’s the point of being a Christian, u gotta follow Him all the way right?
It was on this note I checked the notice board to see where I’d travel to for my field trip, I crossed my fingers and hoped I was posted somewhere cool like a resort or something..but then I saw my name with a couple of other course mates of mine and we were posted to this unknown, primitive and probably fleas infested village in Plateau state…and the first thing that rolled out of my mouth was a loud and angry..’WHAT THE….!!!!’ trust me, you don’t wanna know the rest.
And so, here I am, in the window seat o f this rickety bus, that’s taking us farther and farther away from civilization into this wilderness…I can only hope, no pray for the best. One of the perks of being a Christian for me, is the fact that you have this feeling that a higher power, has got your back. And as I sit, I hear that still small voice, that stirring in my spirit to study the scriptures, to continue the book I had started about two weeks ago, I sensed this urgent need to do so. I heeded the call and I pulled out my phone. Thank God for the e-bible innovation…there and then for the remaining part of the trip, I allowed the Holy Spirit teach me and show me things I never knew...
 
To be continued.

No comments: